Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ethics and the real world

Stereotypical villains not only disregard others' well-being, they also have excessive or misdirected ambitions, and favor crazy, and easily foiled, schemes for achieving their aims. The ambition and the crazy schemes seem linked: both are unrealistic. Being unrealistic itself does not seem evil, but I wonder whether it isn't linked with evil in some non-trivial way. Doesn't the LA Raiders' tendency to favor risky long throws somehow go with their association with Kiss-style costumes? (Not that I'm a connoisseur of their tactics these days, but this is relevant to why I came to prefer the Browns.)


I suppose gadgetry and risky gambles go with an unwillingness to work hard, so maybe that's the connection with vice. But the work in question is not just that of achieving some specific goal (getting a first down, winning a war, forcing the nations of the world to hand over one million dollars, etc.). It's also the work of honestly facing reality, so that honesty, the willingness to make an effort, and a certain humility (the opposite of a sense of entitlement to riches without effort) all blend together. Newt Gingrich's plan to build a 51st state on the moon strikes me as somehow going with his characteristic way of treating people.   

And then there's this. Peter Singer and Agata Sagan, who start off reasonably, say that it is "not far-fetched" to think that we might be able to develop a pill that makes people more likely to do good. I've read that Ecstasy makes you feel as though you love everybody, so perhaps they are right. But the idea that such a pill might be practical, for instance in reforming convicted criminals, seems rather hopeful. And I wonder whether this optimism is of a piece with the things that make Singer's views on other matters objectionable to some people. Perhaps it is also connected with the apparent ignorance (or is it deliberate ignoring?) of Hume in their final paragraph, which begins:
But if our brain’s chemistry does affect our moral behavior, the question of whether that balance is set in a natural way or by medical intervention will make no difference in how freely we act. 
Maybe I'm mis-remembering Hume, but doesn't he think that whether an act is caused by something that belongs to or comes from the agent rather than something external makes all the difference in the world to whether the act is free? [Actually, quite possibly no. But he does think this matters as far as moral responsibility goes. And that seems important.] And isn't his view too widely shared to be ignored like this? Or is this another case of having to simplify for The Stone?  

Anyway, conclusion: fantasy is bad.


2 comments:

  1. Is there really a distinction between the interior and exterior? How do I tell the difference? If I have the appearance of free will, how can I tell if I have "real" free will or not?

    It's not *necessarily* impossible for there to be an ethical pill. I'll believe it when I see it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I should say that I think part of my original post is wrong. I have changed it a bit, but I don't know whether I did so before you posted this comment. I'll respond as if you asked your questions after the update (because I think you did), but I know I might be wrong.

    Is there really a distinction between the interior and exterior?

    Well, yes. Whether it matters is another question, of course, but I think it certainly might.

    How do I tell the difference?

    Perhaps it isn't always possible, but the difference simply is that in one case the relevant cause of action comes from the inside and in the other it comes from the outside.

    If I have the appearance of free will, how can I tell if I have "real" free will or not?

    I don't know. I don't know what real free will is. But if my actions are caused by something that is part of who I am, part of what makes me me, rather than being caused by some drug administered from the outside, then I think this at least might sometimes make a moral difference. I don't have a theory of what is and what is not part of who I am (or who anyone else is), but I think some things are part of me, belong to my identity, and others are/do not. Actions done as a result of taking some pill are (or seem to me, at least) prime candidates for actions that are not my responsibility, not done of my own free will.

    It's not *necessarily* impossible for there to be an ethical pill. I'll believe it when I see it though.

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete