1. Happy New Year!
2. This looks like a dream conference. I'll be spending a lot of time trying to think what I can write to get a paper accepted so that I can go.
3. I'm likely also to spend some time thinking about Coetzee's In the Heart of the Country. It's just about the perfect novel for me: short, philosophical, tragic, and horrifically violent. And it cries out for interpretation, being seemingly full of references to Wittgenstein, Dostoevsky, Kafka, T. S. Eliot, and so many others that I wonder both how many I have missed and how many I am only imagining.
4. Taking a cue from Jean Kazez, here are the top posts from this blog from 2010:
- The argument from tigers 11 comments, 873 Pageviews
- Against nature 12 comments, 107 Pageviews
- An idea of a university 7 comments, 103 Pageviews
- Generic blog post 79 Pageviews
- Does New Jersey moral philosophy corrupt youth? 8 comments, 48 Pageviews
- Abstract mysticism 10 comments, 47 Pageviews
- Letter to the editor 12 comments, 42 Pageviews
- Wonder-Safety-Guilt 12 comments, 42 Pageviews
- Philosophy & Animal Life III 16 comments, 40 Pageviews
- Total nonsense 10 comments, 37 Pageviews
Thanks to everyone for reading and commenting.
5. I don't have a top ten of movies, books, or albums from 2010, but the one song from the past year that really caught on in our house is this: